I’m just over a month into my shopping ban and, although there has been a little hiccup or two along the way, I’m pleased to confirm I’m doing a lot better than I’d thought! As promised, I noted down all the things I’ve purchased (apart from the usual food shop / bills / boring bits like that) and if I’m being honest, it’s really not been all that much! I’m not going to go through my rules again because no-one likes repetition, but if you didn’t catch my initial post or just want to make sure I’m not cheating you can find my rules here: 100 Day Shopping Ban
What I’ve bought over the past few weeks:
- Superhero artwork – For Jacks bedroom
- Navy blue lampshade – For Jacks bedroom
- Light up letters in ‘J’ ‘A’ ‘C’ ‘K’ – You guessed it, for Jacks bedroom
- Curtains – For the living room
- Ban.do 2016/2017 planner – For me, my spending hiccup. Yes this was a selfish purchase. If you haven’t already read about my guilt check out: The Planner You Need Right Now!
- Sleek Matte Me liquid lipstick in the shade ‘Birthday Suit’
What I’ve gained from not spending how I usually would over the past few weeks:
- I’ve paid off one of my credit cards and cut it up (yay!)
- Everything I’d like to have purchased for the new house I’ve been able to do without wondering how I’d pay for it
- A clearer look of my finances, with a plan on being completely out of debt over the next couple of months
What I’ve learnt over the past few weeks:
- I don’t need to buy something new every day
- Being able to afford things for the family is wayyy better than splurging on a £40 mascara
- Paying off store credit and being so close to clearing a credit card is an awesome feeling
- Having a slip up isn’t the end of the world. Yes I’ve purchased 2 things that I shouldn’t have, however considering I usually buy 3-4+ makeup items each week one lipstick and one planner over the course of 5 weeks is a good start… Hardly anyone ever goes cold turkey and succeeds first time right?
The past few weeks have been pretty good. Yes I stumbled, but is one little diary and one lipstick really that bad?
I hope that I can continue this well throughout the rest of the shopping ban.
Wish me luck. I’ll keep you updated how I get on…
– With Lipstick and Love x